Thursday, June 23, 2011

Big girl bed





Our little Maggie has been moved to a big girl bed.  It's the same big girl boy bed that Eddie used  didn't use.  The same one Fiona slept in didn't sleep in.  Well....hopefully our track record is better this time around. 
Maggie wasn't always a co-sleeper.  I cannot even remember when our sleeping arrangement turned into a co-sleeping situation.  Regardless, I am in SHOCK that our little Margaret has taken so well (and so quickly) to sleeping in a toddler bed.
The first night was ROUGH.  I will not lie.  We put Fiona into our bed with Ed and I slept in Fiona's bed in the room with Maggie.  There was a lot of initial crying and fighting me.  Did I mention Maggie has a FIERCE temper and that she is VERY stubborn....I guess I should say "strong willed".  Nah.  She is
 S-T-U-B-B-O-R-N!!!
Once she fell asleep she did quite well.  She woke up every hour or hour and a half and I patted her back to sleep and told her I was there and that it was going to be OK.  I hope she believed me because I was having my doubts.  By about 4am when she woke up fussing all I had to do was say, "Put your head down baby doll and go to sleep".....and she did.....
It was very odd.
She woke up earlier than her usual time the next morning because she wasn't nestled all snug next to Mommy but that was to be expected.  Sucked.  But expected.
The next night she didn't put up much of a fight at all.  She insisted I feed her a bottle in my arms(yes, my 17 month old is still taking a bottle.  Don't judge me) and then laid her down in her bed.  Nighty, night Maggie.  She went right to sleep.  She has the occassional wake up but she is easily soothed back to sleep.  That night I slept in bed with Ed and I CRIED and CRIED and CRIED some more.  I missed having my snuggle bug next to me but I knew...I know that this is a much needed step.  I really do miss sleeping next to my husband.  We want our bed back and I want to have another baby soon but before we can do that Maggie needs to be out of our room to make way for baby(even if he/she isn't even conceived yet). 
The next night, I didn't cry but I did miss her.  I've been having a rough time falling asleep and staying asleep Except in the morning of course.  In the morning I could sleep soundly and for hours.  Go figure.  She's been waking up early still without Mommy next to her.  This morning she pitter pattered down the hall to me and I snuggled and slept with her in our bed until we absolutely HAD to get up(AKA-Eddie and Fiona were already up and trying to kill each other, hunt down their own food, playing with water from the bathroom...etc.....you get the idea).


And no, I did not buy toddler "bedding".  I don't see the point.
A picture of my other two adorables in the room before the crib got taken apart.  It was raining out and we were on our way out the door to speech.  Did I mention I got the Scooby Doo rain gear at a sale for like 25 cetns a piece??? Score.

While I am writing this Maggie is sleeping soundly in her bedroom, in her bed.
sniff.
I just felt a twinge in my uterus ;-)








No comments: